Friday, August 27, 2010

MagicJack Crackling Noise

I was having problems with the MagicJack making crackling noises when I was making or receiving calls.  I contacted support chat.  They said to remove it from the dongle that was included with the MagicJack.  Once I removed that it would not fit in the USB port I was using.  They suggest that I plug it into the back on my machine when it would fit without the dongle.  When I did that the crackle went away.  They also suggest I use a power USB hub.  When I had I previous contacted support a couple of years ago they had told me to never use a hub because it caused latency or something like that.

The reason they gave me this time for needing to use a powered USB hub was that the crackle was being caused by a low power issue.  The dongle was dropping the power.  Plugging directly gave most power, but the power hub apparently gave a lot more.

Between the two agents I worked with tonight they had me change many settings on my system.  One of them was to make sure the head set was not the default sound device.  On that same screen they had me adjust the volume, which by default was set to 40%.  I also turn up the volume for the handset in the MagicJack software dial pad.

They gave me the same solution to get caller ID.  Although when someone says I have Caller ID, I would assume the MagicJack would pass on all of the Caller ID data to my device.  In this case the device was a phone that was capable of displaying phone numbers and names.

No comments: